27 August, 2012

What Are Your Fitness Inspirations (WAYFI): The Great Outdoors


Having exposure to a fitness gym since I was just out of High School, has sometimes giving me a rather myopic view of where to work out. As an example, I recently saw an online article with the main title asking a question, "Where Do You Like To Workout"? Immediately I was, "Okay, the gym. Where else"? But I'm not really THAT limited in my thinking. The thought only lasted for a second or two before the light finally turned on. Sure, the gym was certainly one viable option, but there were many choices listed; the park, the beach, a country road. These were just a few of those listed. But I have to admit, this past Summer I've gotten better with doing things outside, especially when it comes to fitness. Close to where I work is a flight of steps I like to walk up and down. I recently bought a used bike and have been riding that around town. The park closest to where I live has also been a favorite of mine for running. I've never quite measured, but there is a pond I like to believe is one full mile around. I say 'like' to believe because I still have a problem running more than just a mile. Maybe there is a 'wall' I need to break through yet? Or is one mile seriously the limit of what I can do? Every once in a while I'll even jog/walk around the large block I live on, though I'd hardly say it's a favorite past time of mine. So the question is now thrown your way. Where do you like to workout?

The Great Outdoors: Pros vs Cons:
Pros: There is no feeling greater than being in the refreshingly open outdoors. In the park you'll likely see local flora and fauna. At the beach you can hear the waves crashing against the shore as you jog along. Spending time in the sun can do wonders for your well-being and demeanor. Perhaps you may even smell someone grilling out. Okay, food may not be the first thing you want to think about when working out, but you've gotta admit, nothing beats the smell of the grill.

Cons: As I discovered this weekend, it's no fun to run in the pouring rain. That's the biggest problem I have when it comes to working out, outdoors. Same can be said for when it's freezing cold or outrageously hot. Also you have to be creative to find new ways to motivate yourself. If you're not a creative person, you may find this challenging. One mans fallen log, is another mans Step Pilates. But one mans Step Pilates is just another mans fallen log.

No comments:

Post a Comment