19 August, 2011

Reasons I'm Disappointed in My Fitness Gym

It was recently pointed out to me I'm not spending a lot of time at the gym. True, I've started a workout program at home, and have tried to carefully watch what I eat, but am I missing out by not attending the gym? If so, why am I not going? After much soul searching, I realized it wasn't the workouts I was actually steering clear from. The gym I go to is disgusting and I'm getting fed up with it. What's so disgusting about it? Glad you asked. Following are the top 5 reasons I've grown to hate visiting the gym.

1. Disgusting shower area.

After a hard workout, the last thing I want to worry about is the condition of the shower area. I'm tired, sore and dirty but I have to question the sanitary condition of the shower area when it always seems filthy (even in the morning), the shower heads looks disgusting, and large sections of tiling and wall removed, covered by plastic. What is this, Porky's? Disturbing.



2. People stealing your soap.

As much as I'd like to, I can't fault the gym when this happens. But the fact remains, it happens. The way my gym is set up, you have the locker room which leads into the shower area, which then branches into the pool area or the steam room. So if you bring your own soap, you must place it on a shelf and hang up your towel. Then you can visit the pool and/or steam room. Once you are done, with luck, your soap is still around. Mine has been swiped several times. Of course you have to bring your own soap because the gym is lax in making sure their slimy soap is well stocked. SCORE! - I guess I can blame the gym for this after all. Seriously though, are times so tough people have resorted to stealing soap? Next time I'm bringing an empty bottle of soap filled with something other than soap and see what happens.


3. Rusty & Unclean Lockers

"Holy Rusted Metal Batman. The metal, it's all rusted and full of holes." One of my favorite movie quotes helps explain what really irks me. I realize the lockers have been in the gym for 20+ years. I also realize how expensive it might be to replace them. But again, why should it stop me from complaining? The reality is even with no garbage inside the locker, when it's severely rusted, it SEEMS dirty and disgusting. But the fun doesn't stop there, because most members at the gym DO leave garbage behind. If it's not discarded deodorant, it's used Q-tips or paper toweling. It's certainly getting rougher and rougher to find a decent locker to use.



4. Ripped and stained carpet.

This is the reason workout mats were likely invented. Not to cushion the floor, but to keep the funk from the carpet away from us. Seriously, I can only imagine what these stains are. Additionally, are the stains so bad they can't be cleaned? Has the gym never heard of Rug Doctor, or even the funds to insure they own a carpet cleaning machine? If a drink were spilled or someone vomited on the wood floor, wouldn't it immediately be cleaned up? So what's wrong with immediately cleaning up something on the carpet. So very hard to imagine.



5. Several machines always out of order.

Nothing is so aggravating as having to wait several minutes for a machine. How does such a thing come about? It's not because the machine is dispensing gold bricks, but because there is a lack of available machines for use. This is probably the least problem I'm worried about because generally the gym has many machines on hand. Knowing ahead of time what isn't working helps to alter your workout plan. The most annoying problem comes when the machine is out of order for longer than a week. I know parts may be needed, I hope the problem isn't having to find someone to fix the machine. You would think there's a service contract or some maintenance person is readily available. Another petty gripe, I know. But who doesn't like to stoke the fire once it gets going?



Conclusion? It's not the actual working out I've been trying to avoid, it's the disgusting gym. It's hard to keep motivated when you are working out in a pit. Isn't there something the gym can do to improve? Or is this an inevitable reality I need to face? Well, if they want to keep me as a member, I'm hoping some of these things are addressed. Am I working out at the wrong place or is this typical of most places? I'm not looking to work out at the Ritz, but I'm also not looking to work out at the local dump.

What are your fitness gym horror stories?

4 comments:

  1. you sure you not working out in the state pen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, I have to agree with you. I would be inclined to work out more at home as well. I think I would be afraid to even use a mat on the carpet...given the condition of the rest of the gym I can't imagine the mats being clean and sanitary either. I would just be frustrated at paying a membership fee and not using it!
    More power to you for working out at home!! Go Jeff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, really appreciate the comments. Wish it were as easy as it sounds. But the support helps out a lot!

    ReplyDelete